Facebook groups will grow your business
If you are leveraging Facebook to grow your business and build your email list, then there is a good chance that you are a member of one or more Facebook groups.
I’ve been leveraging Facebook groups for the last year and I love them. (In fact, I enjoyed them so much)
- They are an excellent way to reach your target audience for free.
- Facebook groups let you closely interact with potential customers or followers.
- They are a good tool to promote your content, products or services.
- You can showcase your knowledge and experience in your niche.
- Facebook groups help you grow your traffic, build your email list, and build your revenue.
- They allow you to network with other savvy entrepreneurs.
- Facebook groups are a fantastic place to ask questions about best business practices.
- You can interact with other business owners and bloggers to brainstorm, celebrate successes, share our stucks, give feedback, and make friends.
- You can get tons of new clients!
What’s a Facebook Group and how do I join?
If you aren’t familiar with Facebook groups, let me give you a brief synopsis.
Facebook groups are communities of people who come together virtually to connect over a common topic. And there are TONS of groups for business, online entrepreneurs, digital marketers, content creators, VA, bloggers, and more.
They are not only great for meeting other online business owners, but they often have great educational posts and videos, and you can grow your list like crazy leveraging Facebook groups!
In addition, actively participating in Facebook groups can easily position you as the go-to-expert in your industry, and help you create strong long-term connections that turn into leads and clients.
To have success in Facebook Groups, I discovered it was best to belong to the ones with an engaged community filled with motivated members and an enthusiastic host. These well-moderated groups have clear guidelines on posting, promotions, and the purpose of the group.
To find the right Facebook groups to join, you can take Facebook’s suggestions. You’ll see these in the right-hand column in your Facebook feed.
Here is an example of some of the groups Facebook is suggesting to me. Notice that the suggested groups have some of my Facebook friends in them.
Or you can use Facebook’s group search function.
Below is an example of a search that I did using the term “graphic designers.” Be sure to use search keywords that describe your target audience.
For instance, if you are a VA who works for coaches, then search for groups of coaches. If you are a financial planner who specializes in real estate brokers, then search for groups where they hang out.
The results page also lets you browse groups by friends’ groups, local groups and new groups.
Once you click on the group, you can read more about it and decide whether you would like to join. Then, you just click the Join button (see the graphic below).
Most groups will ask you 3 questions – be sure to answer these with a bit of thought because they are how the group host decides whether you are a good fit for their community.
What types of Facebook groups should I join?
There are three types of Facebook groups I recommend joining to grow your business and/or blog:
- Groups where your ideal customers hang out
- Groups where your peers from the same industry hang out
- Groups where other entrepreneurs hang out
- Groups hosted by someone you follow and admire
I have gotten so much value from Facebook groups that I’ve vetted over 150 of them to see which ones are the most active and the best for business and bloggers. Out of the ones I tested, I’ve created a list of the 75+ best Facebook groups for businesses and bloggers. I keep it continuously updated on a Google spreadsheet.
I selected each of these groups because of their helpful, friendly community of entrepreneurs and bloggers, and their great group hosts. These groups that will welcome you with open arms, provided you stick to the group rules.
Get the best results from Facebook groups
Here are my recommendations for getting the most out of Facebook groups:
1) Start off by joining 3-5 groups. While you can join as many Facebook groups as you would like, it’s difficult to actively participate in too many.
2) Read the group guidelines and rules. You can find these in the sidebar or pinned to the top of the group. Learn what the group will allow (and what it won’t) and do NOT violate these or you will get booted and banned from the group.
3) Actively participate and contribute to the group: Once you join a group, you become a member of a community. Show up in it consistently, add value, provide tips, showcase your expertise, post thought-provoking questions, be a resource, and congratulate people when they have wins.
In other words, interact with people in the same way you would if you met them at an in-person meeting. Get visible and get known for your area of expertise, and as a person who makes contributions.
- Show up consistently (at least two-three times a week)
- Answer questions from others that showcase your area of expertise
- Share quality content (mini blog posts, case studies, how-tos, tips, etc.)
- Post thought-provoking questions about your area of expertise
- Be a resource for people and a connector
- Be interested in others and their progress or journey
- Acknowledge and celebrate others and their accomplishments
If the group has daily topics or questions, participate in them and get your name and brand seen by others in the group (especially if you can tie it in to your area of expertise).
4) Share your lead magnets in your Facebook groups (if they allow you to do so). Once you’ve found some groups with your ideal customer and they have discovered that you are an expert in what you do (because you’ve provided such incredible value. Now it’s time to get them on your list!
Look in the group guidelines for their Promo Day or Offer Day. The host will typically have a prompt with a graphic that is called something like Freebie Friday or Offer Day or Share-It Wednesday. Post your lead magnet under that prompt.
5) Keep track of your groups. At first, it was hard to keep track of the Promo Days because they are all on different days of the week. So, this is another reason that I put together the comprehensive spreadsheet of the groups that I think are the most awesome for business owners and bloggers. I also include their size, host name(s), focus area, URL, and Promo Days, and Social Share Days.
When you join a Facebook group, please be a good participant and contribute. You will get the best results by adding value to the community.
Also, don’t get sucked in by huge group numbers when you consider which ones that you will join. What I’ve found is that big groups are great for learning, but can be hard to get noticed in – posts get pushed down quickly because of their high volume of activity.
I’ve had a lot of success in getting more traffic and leads from groups under 5,000 because more people are likely to see your promo and posts. You can also build relationships more quickly in smaller groups. So, don’t be a “numbers addict” because when it comes to Facebook Groups – size isn’t everything!
When you follow these tips and participate in Facebook groups regularly, you will be amazed at how quickly things can happen in your business.
Not only will you get leads and clients, but – if you show up regularly – you’ll be asked to form strategic partnerships , get referrals, be invited to speak on podcasts and Facebook live interviews, and much more!